Friday, January 3, 2014

January 1, 2014 - Just the beginning

I remember when I was a kid and I read 1984 by George Orwell and I thought that I would never make it to 1984…then I remember thinking that Prince's song, 1999, was crazy because that year seemed so far away…and it seems the decades keep rolling by. 2014…my 50th year! Holy crap! That is CRAZY! but here it is and I am spending an inordinate amount of time trying to create a very memorable year. I am very fortunate because every year of my life (except those I can't remember at all) have been very memorable with good and bad…but mostly good.

My friend Michele gave me this book for Christmas, surely as a joke, however it has some really great ideas in it! The funny thing is that I have already done so many of the suggestions…play golf in Scotland, check. wear comfortable clothes, check. Buff up my brain, check. Stop obsessing about my flaws…half a check? :)

My commitment to myself for the next 12 months is to do new things that I have never done before or at least some version I have never done before. For example I am now registered for the Double Triple Bypass. Sounds kind of stupid but we will make it fun! And I am doing the Ride the Rockies in June with the David Phinney Foundation to continue the amazing fund raising work started by my sister! John and I are going to take an amazing vacation, location still unknown.

I am also going to focus on being healthy in spirit, mind and body. I want to enjoy the next 50 so I best be attentive to the details! A little more recovery time, more Qi Dong, better foods more often, long hours of quality sleep, direct flights, good music with as much dancing like an 80's chick as possible, only really expensive red wine :) tons and tons of laughter, spending time with people who fill my soul,  make me smile and make me feel welcome, warm and worthy.

I also want to focus on family and friends who have been with me for a large portion of the last 50. High school and college friends, post-college friends and family that I have not seen since Walt's funeral. I still want Mimi and Janie to come visit and to see the Rocky Mountains with me. Alice and I will roll by 50 together with Mary by our sides giggling because she is such a youngster still! My cousins Amy, Hillary and Kristen have always been so fun when we have found the time to play together. Now that they have 8 beautiful kids between them it is hard to find the time which means I will go to them in Omaha, New Jersey and DC!  My incredible Colorado friends who have seen me through men, athletic adventures, jobs, homes, surgeries and craziness, I intend to make the time to laugh really hard with you!

It is important to consider how I do not want to spend my time this year as well. I will avoid anything or anyone that produces negative energy. No standing in judgement, complaining, feeling mad or sad, injured due to idiocy, grumbling or pouting and definitely not fighting. No whining, bitching or moaning about my life because it is really fantastic now matter how hard the day(s) may be…I am blessed.

There are so many cool one liners about turning 50 but I want to come up with my own…I have a few months and I also welcome any ideas or input you might want to share. Fabulous at 50, 50 and Fantastic, Finally 50, etc etc. None of them excite me much. I need my own.

I will be blogging throughout the entire year for my own entertainment and hopefully yours as well. I will chronicle every dance and laugh I can while likely sharing the true sense of anxiety I feel about this benchmark.  I once dated a guy who told me life went down hill at 40. Yeah, he was a drag for sure! And I mocked and then dumped him! What a sad way to look at life! So now I am peering over the wall at 50 and I wonder…"what's next?" I guess I will save that consideration for my next post.

Freaking Fit at 50? Nah….that is boring and limited too.




1 comment: