Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bootie Call in Coeur d Alene! Pre-race Anxiety!

I’ve thought about 10 different titles for this blog post…and now as I write I can’t come up with one. The fog is starting to clear and I am sitting in a local coffee shop with John and Tyler. Tyler is reading the finishers stories in the local paper and John is people watching…so relaxed! I am not sure how to write about this EPIC event. I know the word Epic is overused however I decided this morning that MY experience in actually getting to and then completing Coeur d Alene Ironman was EPIC for me!
I expected to be very emotionally upset when I turned the corner and saw the finish line. I expected to burst into tears and raise my hands to the sky and thank Pop and Mom for guiding me and being with me! In fact, when I turned the corner and saw the finish line, I was elated, happy and shocked! Really shocked! SOO HAPPY! It was over! I had 6 blocks to cover and the pain would end! YAHHHOOO! I spoke with Mom and Pop throughout the ride and run. I always say that Mom is in my sunshine and Pop is in my clouds and I had them both with me race day! I would simply tell them I was hurting and I reflected on conversations I had with them both in the past. When I told Walt that I registered for an Ironman and explained the distances he said, “what the hell do you want to do that for? Ya damn idiot!” Oh the love! Feel the love! And truth be told I do feel the love in that! He always meant well and wanted to me stop inflicting pain on myself. He wanted me to play some golf, drink more beer and watch more TV. He knew it would never happen. Shortly after our Colorado Trail run in 2001 and my marriage had fallen apart Elvira suggested that “maybe if you slowed down and stopped running your life wouldn’t be so hard?” Oh feel the love! I really didn’t know where I got my “chip” for pain and suffering from until my mom was so sick. Then I saw how patient, durable and enduring both my parents were. I could never explain it to them but I will always know that they gave me everything I need to accomplish anything..even an Ironman!
The time leading up to race day was awesome! We had a house with 10 of us plus! We managed food, bathrooms and sleeping really well! Thanks to all my roomies for being so cool! John, Tyler, Keith, Jon, Anthony and Bill were the athletes and then Michele, Nancy, Heather, Anne, Nicole and Margaret were our powerhouse fans! We were so blessed with such a great pre-race situation! Tyler and I swam the first day we arrived and I have to admit I was super intimidated and COLD! The water was beautiful but very cold. I wore a neoprene cap and booties and although it was cold I learned the first day I could endure the water. The 2nd day I swam again and didn’t use ear plugs. I hated the way they made the water sound and my head feel. Day 2 swim was better but not great. The beach was sunny and warm but the water was still very cold and my swim stroke felt weak. Shoulders were tired and tight. We had started the swim with Michele and Sonja and other super swimmers and rather than get completely demoralized by trying to keep up or anything I headed back to the cement stairs and wallowed around to try to get used to the cold. Day 2 was the worst swim for me. There was something about my foggy goggles and the cold and I knew what I needed. Even though Tyler made fun of me I went and bought myself a big fat Aquashere Mask! Phew! The bomb! I can see! It was clear, gave me great peripheral vision and on my Day 3 swim it elevated my confidence exponentially! John decided to do the race so we went back down to the beach Day 3, the day before the race, and I tested no booties and my mask. The mask ruled and the booties were going back on unless the “Bootie Call” was a No Go!
The 3 days leading up to the race were filled with nervous energy swims, runs and rides. We cruised part of the run course on our bikes and drove the ride course. I thought the ride course looked much easier than it turned out to be! Must be riding in the back seat gave me a skewed perspective! Thanks so much to Randi for driving the course and for hanging with me and Tyler! A great start to our 1st IM experience!
Other pre-race highlights included our first of many trips to the merchandise tent! Phew! I was fairly well behaved! Better than I was in Boston. John and I both felt like we needed to finish before we did too much shopping! It was fun to see all the crap people will buy! Whoa!
Athlete check-in was pretty powerful! I was shaking a bit and really soaking in the experience! I have never been surrounded by more thoughtful, supportive volunteers in my life! Really amazing volunteers! More on the later! Like all smart companies, Ironman Check-in dumps you directly into the Merchandise tent again in case you haven’t had enough! We got AWESOME new tribags that I will make good use of! We wandered through all the vendors and tried to soak it all in! Amazing peacocking going on the entire time. Yes, “peacocking” is a verb now. Tyler and I decided to make a game of watching people who were wearing WAY TOO much tri-gear and especially matching kits and IM finishers gear! We saw one dude who had an entire kit with compression socks, matching shorts, shirt, jacket and cap…at the rental car place. Clearly there was no bike in site. I have to confess that now that I am FINISHER, I too will be peacocking for a few days or months or years! Ha!  Check out the picture of my new Finishers Jacket that John bought me!
The Athlete Dinner was so inspiring! They introduced Volunteers, Athletes and locals who had amazing stories to share. Mike Reilly really is a great announcer and he kept everyone connected and amazed! There are so many people who do an Ironman to change their lives! In search of something greater…a physical, emotional and spiritual shift! I was in awe of the people who raced to raise money for a cause close to them, or raced for fitness to save their life or to race because someone told them they never could. Every single person under that tent had a story to tell!
I think I handled the pre-race stress pretty well until the last afternoon and then most everything and everyone irritated me. I was just over the waiting and ready to let the pain begin! I had the most confidence I had felt about the swim, my legs and body were completely lethargic and stiff from tapering and I was tired of being tired….so I knew I was ready! I did scare myself 2 days before the race. At the expo I had a Kale/blueberry smoothie. It tasted really good. What a lousy experience. I had a 24 hour cleanse that really made me worried! I found myself sprinting from the room in order to make it to the bathroom! Phew! I was hot and sweaty and getting more and more worried. And then Michele suggested a tums and it cleared up the next day. Just before John arrived I was feeling much better! Phew! Note to self….nothing you are not used to before race day! Duh! The afternoon before the race I went out back and laid in the shade and relaxed. Everything was in the holding tank ready to be released! There was nothing else I could do and I had my goals clearly set in my mind:
1.      Finish the swim
2.      Run the entire marathon
3.      Finish with a smile on my face
We had a great evening meal with the gang, we all nervously ate volumes of food. Packages of cookies, chips, fruit and peanut butter just disappeared. I ate really well the day prior to the race. No crap and not too much. I know my tummy well enough to know that overloading would backfire on me race day! After dinner we each went to our rooms quietly contemplating the coming days events.  John and I fell asleep together keeping our own anxieties to ourselves…



















No comments:

Post a Comment