Monday, June 11, 2012

The Moab Half Crew in March after a great day!


One of the very best things about my Ironman training, and really about my training in general, is how I am able to wrap important training days around great events with friends! If all I had to do was train by myself all the time and not get to enjoy the company of other people I would never be passionate about racing! When I told my new coach last winter that I wanted to bike race and do some other events while preparing for IMCD he was very supportive. I was shocked because so many people told me I wouldn't be able to do anything but train for IM. Justin has been awesome at helping me wrap bike races and long rides into my important workouts. I suppose if I were racing IMCD to win or for a specific time it might have looked different but considering everything I have been through in the last few months I have been thrilled to be out there with friends laughing all the way! Since my last blog post I have been training my ass off. Enough said.
I have been to Moab for a half marathon, to Buena Vista for a century ride in the snow and sun, to Durango for a mountain bike race called Iron Horse, to Boulder for the Victory Ride to help raise money for the Davis Phinney Foundation, to Deer Trail to place 4th in the 45+ women’s race and then of course on every dirt trail and bike path between my house and Conifer! When riding to High Grade becomes “easy” I know I am ready for Ironman...a game we played while riding last weekend. “You know you are ready for Ironman when…”  It was fun and kept us occupied on and off for hours!
Robin, Jewels and I celebrate a long ride up Molas Pass!
I knew if I was going to commit I would have to commit 100%. What a shock that I would not do something half way! Ha! I went down to the Springs to spend a few hours with Justin and he continued to support the notion that I have the engine and foundation; I just needed some speed training and the confidence. It is now 12 days away and I am pooped and fatigued and I am as ready as I can be I guess. It has been a long time since I've done something new like this. Yes, I am an endurance kid and can likely slog through any long event...but I have also learned over the years that there is something to be said for doing longer events faster simply to get them over with!  The longer I am out there the longer I have to endure whatever pain I am self inducing! It only makes sense to move faster and end it sooner! 

Michele, Tyler & Me getting in our early miles and smiles!
The last few weeks have been pretty amazing. My body is holding up really really well. My right calf and knee are still pretty angry most days but they seem to relax and respond when I need them to. Last week Keith N, one of my devout training partners, and I went for a little 20 mile jaunt and spent a little too much time wandering around in the sand in Chatfield and my calf is still pissed...it will no doubt recover in time for June 24th. The cool part of that Wednesday night run was that I had run 20 on Saturday, ridden 80+ and ran on Sunday, swam Monday, rode 3 hours Tuesday and then loaded a 20 mile run onto the body...and it responded beautifully!! Fatigued is OK and expected but no overt pain, obvious injury or bloody stumps! Yahoo! I thought that would be my toughest few days however we completed a pretty long 100+ mile ride with a run in temps over 95 last Saturday and although I got pretty bitchy because of the freaking miserable head winds, I rode strong and ran even stronger off the bike. 
2012 Victory Ride for the David Phinney Foundation
There are so many things happening in my life right now and it might be a good thing because I can’t focus for too long on how I feel or how tired I am! I am really tired though…this week I have to travel to the east coast for business and it is a 2 day swing…that will really drain me but I know that there is sleep in my future for the weekend so I keep my head up and relax.
John and I close on our first house together next week and the very next day I leave for IMCD. It seems ridiculous how things have played out but I guess this is exactly how my life is supposed to be. John and my roommate Nicole as well as many friends and family have been incredibly supportive. Some good advice from a friend whose husband has been doing IMs for a while really helped me…she told me that it was OK if I had to put myself first for a couple of weeks. Thanks MB. I think I have been able to do that, close 2 deals at work, be a reasonably attentive girlfriend, roommate, sister and coach!
Off to bed now as I have a 90 minute hill repeat run in the morning before work, a 90 minute bike hill repeats after work and then a coaching session! 12 days and counting….




























No comments:

Post a Comment