Monday, February 13, 2012

Did it work? Am I healed? How's your butt?


Did it work? Am I healed? How's your butt? This is what I hear from friends and family weekly!

I hope so! I have 135 days left to get conditioned and then race ready! So many people ask “did it work”? “Are you better?” OMG!

Well I just don’t know. 3 prolotherapy treatments, months of rest and now I am starting to rebuild…slowly. Taking so much time off is just brutal for the body and mind! I know, it is really good for body and mind too! I totally agree. But the transition between Training and accepting I can’t train and then the transition back from “lazy girl” to “badass triathlete” (clearly trying to get myself pumped up!) is just brutal.

When I had to stop last April I canceled races, hung up my bike and mentally prepared myself to be a cheer leader and coach. All things being equal I think I handled the transition pretty well. There are a few friends out there who I am sure got tired of hearing me say “I don’t want to watch other people race anymore” I love cheering on friends and coaching and I always will! It is a big part of who I am…but I sure did get tired of watching other people exercise, race and recover! 

China was a great respite for me and although the cortisone didn’t do much but promote a nasty eye infection, I am glad I did it. I will cherish Beijing 2011 for the rest of my life!
Time to look ahead.

135 days before I toe the line at IMCD. OMG. That is all I keep thinking. OMG.

I have been training seriously again since January 1st. My new coach is working me hard while keeping a close eye on my build and my load. It probably isn’t really hard however it feels hard because I got pretty content sitting on my butt! I can’t even imagine spending 5-6 or more hours training right now. I am constantly fatigued and feel like I need 1o hours sleep! And that is after only 3 hours of training! Like I said…OMG.

I have had a few strength workouts on bike and treadmill and after I overcome the anxiety that I am so out of shape I can’t possibly do the workout…I not only complete it I feel awesome doing it. 1k hill repeats on the treadmill made me quiver in my boots until I started the 2nd one and I felt like I could turn it up and maybe push a little! The last 2 I did at 8 minute pace! Freakin awesome! I felt strong and confident in my ability to push. WOW! I haven’t felt that in months! Best news…NO HAMSTRING PAIN! No hamstring pain in the “sweet spot” since my last round of prolo! Of course everything else hurts because it is learning to work again. Hopefully all the muscles are “turned on” and doing what they are supposed to do when I run or ride. My right knee is constantly tweaked which for now I am chalking up to my right quad actually being engaged and supporting me! Ha!

The other great news is the progress I am making with me swim. Again, once I got over the fact that all my swims would be more than 3000 yards, totally new for me, I settled in to making the time to work on my form and really embracing the water! Justin was brilliant in helping me FINALLY see and feel my stroke. AND he got in the water with me to SHOW it to me. REALLY? I have been waiting for something to click with my swim stroke for years. So many people said “you just have to swim” which I agree with  however “just swimming” with a crappy stroke only promotes shoulder injury, neck pain and more frustration. Literally Justin watched me swim, got in the water and showed me what to do and I am doing it. I have managed to be an accomplished triathlete with a lousy swim stroke and mediocre swim times. Stubbornness and humility are the only two things that keep my doing tris. Now I am swimming my 100’s on 1:35 or better and I haven’t been able to do that EVER! Again…OMG!!

135 days left.
  • Left hamstring is solid, needs a lot of stretching and seems to respond to the work
  • Left shoulder is much better and only flares up when I am stressed out
  • Right knee…better watch this as I progress. Stretching hip flexors makes pain subside…stretch!
  • Head – getting excited about the prospect of being able to complete the training and joining a huge gaggle of friends and family in Idaho in late June!
OMG!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment